Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Categories

Please refrain from copy and pasting messages over and over and over, or you will be removed from the forum. We all have input to make so let's keep this at a discussion and not a text block of commercials. Here are some helpful guidelines for good discussion and debate recommended by one of our members:

• * Stay on topic
  • * Be clear
  • * Build upon your points and address those of other people
  • * Refrain from making assumptions about others' unstated views
  • * If you disagree with somebody, do so politely
  • * Clarify your terms and seek to understand others' (but avoid semantic derails)
Note: The opinions expressed by the moderators and members of this discussion board do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Occupy Together or Occupy Wall St. In the spirit of free information, open discussion, and the freedom of expression, members are able to speak about issues relating and directly pertaining to the Occupy movement. You will be banned for hate speech or intentional misinformation and please refrain from any violent rhetoric; this is a peaceful movement. Thank you.
Occupy Appalachia?
  • PsycoBradOPsycoBradO October 2011 +1 -1
    Hello, my name is Brad Osborne from the town of Bradford, Pa. Our town is located almost right in the middle of the Appalachian Mountains. We were a huge huge oil town back in the late 1800's and still Oil, Gas, and Timber is a huge industry around here. Since our town is pretty much located in the middle of nowhere and our population is spread out, its hard for us to get everyone around our area together to support Occupy Together.

Today I had an idea of how we can support. As we all know our mountains provide huge profit for oil, coal, gas, and timber corporations. We all know they all overcharge us for a profit and this profit isn't tiny. All these companies work in our area taking all of our natural rescources! So why cant we Occupy them? I really want to get this started so everyone that lives in these mountains can support this movement.

Please reply to the post for ideas or questions. Please contact me if you would like to help. Ill be getting a facebook page and group up for it soon!

My email is biggerandred@gmail.com
    Facebook is facebook.com/biggerandred

Thanks to all the supporters fighting for us right now in the streets, now its time to take it to the mountains!
  • Solidarity Brad! I was planning on thru-hiking the Appalachia trail next Spring until this movement gained momentum. I'd love to talk to you about the mountain-top removal taking place for coal.
    Solidarity fellow Occupier! Appalachia is so beautiful. The Allegheny National Forest, which is a beautiful part of Appalachia, is a big part of my life. My friends and family have had great memorable times of my life.

I have researched mountain-top removal when I was taking a Environment Politics course at the University of Pittsburgh Bradford. I met with the teacher of this course once about the Zeitgeist Movement and he brought me up on this case about mountain-top removal. I looked into it and watched a series called Toxic West Virginia and I was completely frustrated with what I saw in the video. In some ways I feel like its destroying our planet quicker. Even though it is the better and a more inexpensive way to get the coal from this planet, its been harming ecosystems from the Pittsburgh area, down all the way to Tennessee.

I remember he also discussed about a Sludge pit that broke open down in Tennessee and poured into the Tennessee River like a few years ago. I looked most of the news reports on it on youtube and this one PR Rep for the company said that the water was fine to drink. I couldn't believe the selfishness.

But anyways, now that I'm done spewing, what would you like to say about it? I really love discussing this with people. No one where I live agrees with any of my views but I respect people and respect what they say about it so I respect your opinion too!

If you would like to continue this discussion here that's fine because hopefully some other people will join in too. But you can also email me or add me to Facebook if you would like a more private one.

I really appreciate your support! If we all stay positive through this we can accomplish a lot. Solidarity!!!
  • Saw this and thought of you Brad
    http://www.facebook.com/OccupyMountains
    WOOHOO! Haha. Right now I am working on getting friends from different colleges to get environmental majors to help out. My one friend Brian was explaining to me about some serious stuff that is happening now with a Natural Gas drilling company in our area.

Also, since I am kinda new to this, is there anyway we can have like a personal chat on Skype or phone on how I should go about this because I have lots of questions and stuff, and so does my friend Brian. I would really appreciate it!

Thanks so much!
  • Are they hydraulic fracturing? aka fracking?
    I've seen the documentary 'gasland' & read a few articles about it. My understanding is Halliburton is profiteering from fracking natural gas at the cost of ecological destruction and human lives. Nothing new for that corporation though.

I know even less about mountain top removal but I've seen some pretty gruesome pictures of the strip mining. It blows my mind we can alter nature on such a massive scale simply for coal. I am aware that it is a dirty energy source. Other than that... I don't really know much else.
    Oh yea I completely agree. I was just basically wondering if you can tell me about the occupy wall street and other occupy locations. I am really interested in the goal and I would like to no more if you are willing to like talk so I can ask some questions and such. Just let me know! Thanks!
  • ddbtjean99 November 2011 +1 -1
    Hi Brad,
    I'm over in Occupy Austin. I've been observing and participating as I can figure out along the way (about 4 wks). This is what I think I've learned about being new to Occupy and more... It will be very confusing as democracy must be. Imagine learning a new language (magnet, infoscribe, facilitator, hand signs) to apply to a consensus democracy (2/3 or so vs 51%/49%). Imagine being free enough and treated with enough respect to pick up anything you feel needs doing. From educating, sustaining, supporting, and carrying individuals to..... what ever it is that is peaceful, attention getting, inclusive to keep the focus on the issues (Occupy seems to be focused on 2 ideas but it's not top down control so what are you interested in Occupying for?) My daughter explained to me that it won't be two things that evoke change but to paraphrase Terry Prachett "1000s of us pulling in different directions is the only way to make progress'
    Our problems with loss of democracy to the corporations and ws is so large and complex it will take all our thoughtful and impassioned ideas to come to life and move us into a better future. Our family plan is to sustain with meals, comfort items, and trading babysitting so each can sleep sometimes at Occupy (hurray for those who do this night after night), move the general goal forward (privately held company, local, farmer's market, craft fair lists?) or (staffing a table at these places, perhaps with $s going into local Occupy donation bucket) and getting our thoughts out through the forums, sign holding, talking to others. 3 fold, sustain, support big idea, grow underlying or inline with ideas.
    I have thoughts about choosing location/s and such if you're interested. Don't know much about ordinances, rights, and so much more. Others will though.
    Very much luck, courage, and perserverance to you and all of us, the 99%.
    And Thank you,
    Dorrie