Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Categories

Please refrain from copy and pasting messages over and over and over, or you will be removed from the forum. We all have input to make so let's keep this at a discussion and not a text block of commercials. Here are some helpful guidelines for good discussion and debate recommended by one of our members:

• * Stay on topic
  • * Be clear
  • * Build upon your points and address those of other people
  • * Refrain from making assumptions about others' unstated views
  • * If you disagree with somebody, do so politely
  • * Clarify your terms and seek to understand others' (but avoid semantic derails)
Note: The opinions expressed by the moderators and members of this discussion board do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Occupy Together or Occupy Wall St. In the spirit of free information, open discussion, and the freedom of expression, members are able to speak about issues relating and directly pertaining to the Occupy movement. You will be banned for hate speech or intentional misinformation and please refrain from any violent rhetoric; this is a peaceful movement. Thank you.
Motion for the formation of Executive Committee and Election for a National General Assembly (10/15)
  • publicus1 October 2011 +1 -1
    At the NYC General Assembly, on October 15, 2011 our group will move to elect an Executive Committee of the General Assembly. The purpose of this committee will be to organize a nationwide election of 870 delegates (two from each of the 435 congressional districts) to a NATIONAL GENERAL ASSEMBLY to convene on July 4, 2012 in Philadelphia.

The National General Assembly will debate, propose and vote on a Petition for the Redress of Grievances to be presented to the United States Government before the 2012 elections in November.

This petition is authorized by the First Amendment to the Constitution. Please read our sample declaration and action plan at the webpages below. See you on October 15th!

https://sites.google.com/site/the99percentdeclaration/

https://sites.google.com/site/the99percentdeclaration/home/the-steps-to-non-violent-revolution

publicus unum
  • BradB October 2011 +1 -1
    :)
  • marchelomarchelo October 2011 +1 -1
    I eagerly await the conclusions of the NYCGA and stand in solidarity with this action. Bravo!
  • gavemehope October 2011 +1 -1
    :) It's coming along nicely, I will put my two cents, if that's ok. Different approach though, a serious one, but I will have to meditate on it. Wow that is really quite something. Thank everyone for their hard work, because that has took some already. Nice work
  • johniewaddelljohniewaddell October 2011 +1 -1
    I will be honest... I have already started campigning to represent my district because I recognize the importance here and want to help. Even if I do not attain my goal however I offer myself in any capacity seen fit. We always need more suits right? lol
  • waingro909 October 2011 +1 -1
    Are we talking about getting a continental congress?
    I support this general idea.
    I also support the idea of international GA.
    I do not support the formation of a political party.
  • rellis43 October 2011 +1 -1
    Super idea. Count me in to support in any way I can. We must have representation that expresses the views of the 99%. Call it The Peoples Party" if it must be a party. D.Ellis
  • marchelomarchelo October 2011 +1 -1
    Some perspective on the notion of a Constitutional Convention from the Economist (back in April).
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/04/constitution
  • heykalindi October 2011 +1 -1
    The idea of a Constitutional Convention has been giving me hope for radical change..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/44898431#44898431
  • heykalindi October 2011 +1 -1
    Warren Buffett, in a recent interview with CNBC, offers one of the best
    quotes about the debt ceiling:

"I could end the deficit in 5 minutes," he told CNBC. "You just pass a
    law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP,
    all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election

Congressional Reform Act of 2011
    1. No Tenure / No Pension.
    A Congressperson collects a salary while in office and receives no pay
    when they are out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.
    All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social
    Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social
    Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It
    may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all
    Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay
    will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in
    the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American
    people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congress are void effective 1/1/12.
    The American people did not make these contracts with Congress. Congress
    made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor,
    not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so
    ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.
  • Clause 12's "non-essential [military] bases" needs to be defined. Such a definition can only come about as a result of a coherent understanding of how the United States should behave in the international arena. We will put forth a statement on the foreign policy of the US later this week.

I also contend that political parties cannot be non-partisan, and that the addendum on the end of the document which essentially threatens to work within an already manipulated system is hollow; the movement is better off not specifying what would happen should Congress refuse to listen. Rhetorically, cutting this all would strengthen the document as a whole-- even not considering this, however, it is ridiculous to suppose that a third party can challenge the Democrat-Republican institution as it currently stands.
  • Gambino October 2011 +1 -1
    @publicus1
    Can I give you some meaningful feedback or some changes to the verbiage on the document? Is that ok or is this one set in stone already?
  • bgersh October 2011 +1 -1
    this looks to be a substantial subject, organizing th eorganization. why is there no additional information available that informs everyone what happened at the NYC general assembly on October 15??
  • jockdoc51 October 2011 +1 -1
    I have a post already under "single focus" discussion - just posted idea that a progressive party (if you can keep it from being stolen by the Republicans aka Teddy Roosevelt's party) and start with controlling state politics and then call for Constitutional Convention - bring on term limits, line item veto, restrict budget bills to just budget - national referendums for certain actions -tax codes, etc.
  • whitefeather October 2011 +1 -1
    :-)
  • oaklandcami October 2011 +1 -1
    Is this idea still on the table at OWS? And it is my understanding so far that items on this declaration are what will be discussed at the proposed National General Assembly. Is that correct? I think that if this idea is still in the air, it is something that needs to be proposed and voted on at all Occupy General Assemblies... so how is the word going to get out about it???
  • Sky November 2011 +1 -1
    Sounds interesting.
  • Catman November 2011 +1 -1
    This is an idea that needs to be kept alive. To keep the movement growing and evolving we need to set goals such as this, and a National General Assembly is an obvious and necessary instrument to put forth a coherent program. I do have a quibble with basing the representation on Congressional Districts. Some Congressional Districts simply don't have much of an Occupy organization, while cities like NY, Seattle, LA, etc. have large, creative groups. Delegates should be chosen based on the size of the Occupy GAs in each area. One other suggestion: delegates hold their National GA in 2 or 3 phases: perhaps an initial mtg starting in Philly on July 4th, then 2 more mtgs on the same weeks and in same cities as the Dem and Repub conventions. Chances are Occupiers will want to converge in those 2 places anyway in order to protest. Let's put the call out: converge for National GA and protest next summer!