Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Categories

Please refrain from copy and pasting messages over and over and over, or you will be removed from the forum. We all have input to make so let's keep this at a discussion and not a text block of commercials. Here are some helpful guidelines for good discussion and debate recommended by one of our members:

• * Stay on topic
  • * Be clear
  • * Build upon your points and address those of other people
  • * Refrain from making assumptions about others' unstated views
  • * If you disagree with somebody, do so politely
  • * Clarify your terms and seek to understand others' (but avoid semantic derails)
Note: The opinions expressed by the moderators and members of this discussion board do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Occupy Together or Occupy Wall St. In the spirit of free information, open discussion, and the freedom of expression, members are able to speak about issues relating and directly pertaining to the Occupy movement. You will be banned for hate speech or intentional misinformation and please refrain from any violent rhetoric; this is a peaceful movement. Thank you.
Facebook
  • MundusVultDecipiMundusVultDecipi November 2011 +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    I have a love/hate relationship with this social media platform. Unfortunately it is the best option out there right now because:
    A) Highest Membership
    B) Excellent Design
    C) Ease of Access

I dread being a member only because of those pesky filters I've encountered. Anyone else have to fill out a 'security check captcha' when posting important info? Or sometimes they just won't allow you to post it. It just keeps asking you to 'try again.' I remember a time that this wasn't a problem on the website, why is the freedom of speech narrowing with time here? Restricting the flow of 'legal' information is becoming more and more normal nowadays.

On #N17 I sent a message with some 'sensational' links to a friend on the Occupy Together team and a 'security check' popped up asking me to fill out the random selection of two words. Well the second word I had to type said "observed." I thought "What are the odds?" But I knew this wasn't coincidence because it was the first time I ever had to fill out a captcha to send a private message on Facebook.

There was one situation I videotaped where Facebook literally gave me a blank captcha over and over when trying to post a link to a Nigerian forum exploring the atrocity of the Libyan 'humanitarian mission,' headed up by US/NATO, France, & England. I have heard whispers of a new activist social media platform being constructed. It may end up being called 'The Global Square'

Anyways here is a story on Facebook censorship/monitoring. I figure this discussion could become a listserve for this topic.

Three Ways Facebook is Censoring You
    http://news.yahoo.com/three-ways-facebook-censoring-180400255.html

Agrees: TheRielDeal

• BrightestEyeBrightestEye November 2011 +1 -1
    I know Facebook will never admit to this but I am thinking Facebook also plays around with the "likes" button, sort of like "Vevo" on Youtube. I've noticed Occupy likes are decreasing with a fast rate, beyond odd. Mitt Romney polls increase by 10,000 in five minutes, it's extremely odd. Obama lingers near 24,000,000 even though there is a bunch of distaste for him.

Facebook , I bet you, does fool with likes to make you feel like you are the only one for the cause, if you feel like you are the only one, you give up. Mark has sold out a loooooong way back. Oh what a tangled web (they) weave.

But what can we expect, Facebook is the "machine".
  • MundusVultDecipiMundusVultDecipi November 2011 +1 -1
    Even the algorithms used to produce the newsfeed limits content.

I also find it ironic that Yahoo would write such a great story on the topic when they too harvest data.
  • BrightestEyeBrightestEye November 2011 +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )
    Finger pointing to clean their image, after blocking Occupy in email and being exposed.
  • whitefeather November 2011 +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    I have a suspicion facebook also sends out requests for friendship when they think it might be someone you know.

Agrees: BrightestEye

• BrightestEyeBrightestEye November 2011 +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )
    @whitefeather

I should boycott them for sending a request from my sister-in-law.
    Pffffff.......