Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Categories

Please refrain from copy and pasting messages over and over and over, or you will be removed from the forum. We all have input to make so let's keep this at a discussion and not a text block of commercials. Here are some helpful guidelines for good discussion and debate recommended by one of our members:

• * Stay on topic
  • * Be clear
  • * Build upon your points and address those of other people
  • * Refrain from making assumptions about others' unstated views
  • * If you disagree with somebody, do so politely
  • * Clarify your terms and seek to understand others' (but avoid semantic derails)
Note: The opinions expressed by the moderators and members of this discussion board do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Occupy Together or Occupy Wall St. In the spirit of free information, open discussion, and the freedom of expression, members are able to speak about issues relating and directly pertaining to the Occupy movement. You will be banned for hate speech or intentional misinformation and please refrain from any violent rhetoric; this is a peaceful movement. Thank you.
WE MAY NOT KNOW WHAT WE WANT BUT WE SURELY KNOW WHAT WE DON'T WANT!
  • XavierOT November 2011 +1 -1
    SO LET'S START WITH THAT!!!!

PLEASE, TAKE A MOMENT TO TELL THE WORLD WHAT YOU DON'T WANT!!!
  • gott5gott5 November 2011 +1 -1
    To just congregate and talk. Formulate an action plan and implement. Baby steps are fine
  • DurandusDurandus November 2011 +1 -1
    tsk
    we baby stepped into this mess ...we can baby step out
  • DurandusDurandus November 2011 +1 -1
    K
    Durandus................are you saying I'm Occupying Occupy?...wow
  • bnhunter December 2011 +1 -1
    HELLO....new person to the site here...While I understand the magnitude of the issues raised by the occupy movement, I can honestly say in earnest that I don't think most of the population does. It is my belief that if they knew what the movement was pressing for in simple concise terms..the majority of this countries Americans would be on board....it seems to me that the occupy movement is all over the map and that being in a scattered position of protest hinders the highly significant message that could be delivered. I am not being critical--just real. Maybe the occupy leadership could hold an online election to discern 3 or 4 specific platforms from which the movement could mobilize and bombard the media with a position on these 3 or 4 selected issues of protest.

As a side note--the AARP organization has really taken a wise stance with their medicare benefits on the line by recently running ads putting politicians on notice of their strength in voting numbers--and by directing their solidarity right at the politicians running for office. Their ads say--we are 5 million strong voting Americans and we will be watching you (politicians) over the next few months and you will hear from us on election day...hence if you want to keep your job--you best be considering our desires because we are the people you represent--and we are watching.

Occupy should take this same bold in your face voting agenda. We need short concise issues that the movement feels strongly about in solidarity to target as our platform issues for resolution.

Example platforms:
    1) Occupy demands an immediate criminal investigation and congressional inquiry into the reasons justifying the recent us tax dollar bail outs of financial institutions
    2) Occupy demands new legislation that prohibits the --currently legal--practice of insider trading by elected officials in Congress
    3) Occupy demands immediate government pressure, transparency and accountability of all banks and financial institutions that received us tax payer bail out money to disclose how the tax payer money was used to renegotiate upside down loans for Americans facing foreclosure--with renegotiation intent on Americans keeping their homes
    4) 3% of the foreign aid budget redirected immediately to fund US infrastructure projects that create jobs for Americans.

These are just examples!

Next, it would be wise to bombard the media with whatever selected platforms derive so that public opinion and politicians can take sides and thus be held accountable, inspired or empowered. Lastly, the movement can be--and is--identified by the 99% population characteristic--however, we are also a remarkable voting power by our sheer numbers that if reasonably flashed in the face of politicians have the capacity to bring criminals to justice via congressional inquiry into the wall street deception and good ole boy antics. The occupy movement has this capacity! It is ripe for demanding change if simple organizational functions and leadership can focus and target. Just a thought and commentary?